Promises are made to be kept !
Here are the photos of the shooting of my 2016 realisations.
For the French speakers, I recorded a first podcast where you can glimpse some of the photo below. I explained the process over last year and how I made the garments. I’m not ready yet to record in English, but who knows, maybe someday….
I started 2017 with a lot of energy and plenty projects in mind. One of the main thing was to share my work with you in all the different forms I could think of.
Before starting, I would like to thank my friend Aurelien from AlCreaGraph for his goodwill and support he gave it to me during almost 4 hours. 1200 photos in total, it is to say how tenacious he has been.
✄ ✄ ✄
During a sunny afternoon, we went to Mornington Peninsula to take advantage of the magnificent sceneries. I spent a lot of time down there in the first year of my expatriation. It is just breathtaking ! The sea, the beaches, the wineries on hills, kangaroos in the forest. All the wonders of Victoria, concentrate in one small peninsula !
✄ ✄ ✄
For my first realisation, let me introduce you to Nina from BurdaStyle.com. It is a reasonable an easy pattern for a beginner, the major difficulties are probably the zip and the gathering. I added a lining because my main fabric was see-through while the original version contains only two enormous pockets. For this lining, I used an acetate fabric to avoid electrostatic. I am not sure of the fabric for the skirt but it seems to me that it is a tulle.
✄ ✄ ✄
Carry on by the success of my skirt, I could not resist to start with a garment I’m dying for so long : the teddy ! Once again, I found my luck on the Burda website. Do not ask, it was just the easy way ! I had a look to the Papercut version but I did not like the front and I found in the Burda pattern something close to what I had in mind.
For the fabric, I use some knit fabric with two different colours and I choose a printed cotton for the lining. I just LOOOOOVE the lining, and I found the combination just delightful.
The original pattern do not include a lining but I wanted something warm that I could wear over fall. It also helped to create a very neat garment with nice finishes. The ultimate alteration was to modify the front piece to avoid the zip and replace by fasteners. I did few prototypes for the piped pockets which look great even not perfect ! For the letter, I browse over Youtube to find a great tutorial by Wendy.
✄ ✄ ✄
To be honest with you, I’m not the type of person who like to pose in front of the objective. To be clear, I suck at posing ! It took 1200 photos to find only 10 reasonable ! But anyway, fuck off comfort zone, today I decided to expose myself : Communicate about my work is now to important !
In the family Burda, I would like the son! The knit fabric was quiet a success to me and I kept this way to make a sweatshirt for my partner. It is easy to sew but be careful because unstitching is a b***** but this is another story ! I found the ribbing at Spotlight. I was surprised because I did not find what I wanted for the teddy. This times, it matched perfectly the blue fabric. Unfortunately, with no over locker, I did my best but this is not as good as I wanted.
✄ ✄ ✄
For this top, I gave a lot of time and of myself ! I struggled so much and was about to just quit but I persisted to find a way to make it wearable. Let me explain. I forgot the seam allowance. I repeat. I forgot the seam allowance. A beginner mistake, I know… I am a beginner, I know that too. But come on ! I did a muslin but only without the sleeves and this is only when I was ready for the final fitting that I realised how f***ed I was…. Anyway, I managed to remove the sleeves, enlarged the armholes, finished the edges with a biding and “voila” ! It doesn’t look too bad but I’m kinda disappointed….
✄ ✄ ✄
I am now connected to the wonderful world of social network ! In term of “social sewing” this is a whole new world to me with new inspirations and discoveries every day.
All the patterns shown today come from the well know BurdaStyle. In the future, I would like to try more independent brands. I don’t have to complain with the Burda really, it’s just that there are such wonderful realisation on Instagram, I can’t resist and I want to try them all !
For my last realisation of the year, I made a white dress for our Christmas party. This is typical from Australia. I never had this kind of party in France and I have to say, I just love it ! Everybody dress up, this is a delightful for a sewing addict like me. I just spend the party literally starring at all this beautiful women with their well too much expensive dresses. In 2015, just before I start sewing, I made myself a promise, next year, I will make my own dress ! One more tick on my check-list ! It was a wonderful way to finish this first year of sewing with this accomplishment ….
One again, I found the perfect pattern in my Burda magazine. I modified the length, the décolleté and guess what ?! I added a lining #storyofmylife….. This outfit was quiet easy to make, and the main difficulty was a zip and the connection with the binding. Once again, I still have a bit of work to do there. This is not quiet perfect yet….
✄ ✄ ✄
Many things are still to be improved but as a first year in the “sewing wonderland” I’m very happy and excited by everything I made. For 2017, my head is full of new projects. I found exciting independent pattern to try and I planned to follow some online class to learn how to make lingerie. I also realised that I am turning into an “adjustment freak” so I will have to dig into it. I always struggle to find the perfect fitting and I definitely need help on this matter.
At the moment, I am working on a skirt from Vanessa Pouzet. The muslin is waiting on my table to be adjusted. I found a Mexican inspired fabric and I’m so exited to finalise this project !!! Stay tuned my friends !